Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Day at the Vet

Times does sure go by. Just a year ago I was taking Captain to the vet for his last puppy check up and first Rabies shot. Well it is now year later and he just got his first 3 year shot and of course Malibu tagged along and got her check up as well. Captain weighed in at a huge 37.7 pounds and I must say Whomping Willow was a big hit. Malibu came in at a portly 32.6, yes she could use to loose 3-4 pounds but couldn't we all. She has stayed at this weight for about a year now. The entire vet staff loved the pups especially Captain with those big blue eyes. I was surprised that the vet(usually saw the partner) and some of staff thought Captain was a mix of corgi. Staff I could understand but vet no much. He was great though and I would see him again. He basically said Captain was perfect which we all know and he was the best patient. Well a show dog knows how to stand on a table and get looked over, don't they. Malibu bless her hurt would rather curl up in the corner and pretend she isn't there. But as soon as cookies and affection come out here comes Malibu. So now the daunting tasks of renewing Cappy's license. Of course since I am a responsible owner and he is still intact it will cost me three times as much. Oh well, just giving everyone the update. I to let everyone know Captain's 2 points over the weekend were posted on infodog, that just makes me happy and at ease for his points. Talk later. Trenton

3 comments:

  1. Albuquerque charges $150/year per intact dog -- it's such a major rip-off. People frequently ask me if Chase has some corgi in him . . . definitely worth a laugh.

    We'll be waiting for word on those last two points -- goo Cappy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you believe that people here complain that it's $35 per year for intact dogs? Spayed/neutered are only $15.

    But then some people around here think that $75 is about the right price for a purebred dog . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, took Sage in for his rabies/exam last week. He will always be the little guy in the litter, weighing 27 pounds now.

    He was pretty good about his exam, but definitely not happy about being on the table and looked pretty insulted when the vet poked him with the needle.

    Oh, and about vets being able to recognize a CWC...guess again. Over the 13+ years in corgi rescue, I've had a number of vets tell me that a purebred Cardigan was a mix, and visa versa. I quickly learned never to trust a vet or shelter assessment of breed when it comes to corgis. Most vets just don't see that many corgis, let alone Cardigans. They really rare in this area.

    Other than my dogs, and those that I bring in as rescues, I think my vet has only one other cardi client in this overly populated Bay Area. When I first brought Denali in, six years ago, she was the first purebred Cardigan they'd seen, and this is a long-established veterinary practice.

    ReplyDelete